Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ketch-me-if-u-Kan

Day 8 - Ketchikan

The third and final port stop was a little town called Ketchikan. Its claim-to-fame, other than copious amounts of totem poles, is that it is the "first" city in Alaska if you sail up the coast. Thus, it is called Alaska's First City. It is also Salmon Capital of the World, apparently.


By the way, I forgot to mention in the last entry that the only way you can get to Juneau is by boat (or seaplane) or birth canal. A little trivia for ya.

We went off to Saxman to see a bunch of totem poles while Vicki and Alberto went kayaking. I always thought totem poles were completely round (like a tree), but I guess they aren't...


There wasn't much else to do there unless you took an excursion, so I did a lot of walking around town and visiting the gift shops. One thing that was there was the old red-light district, which is now mostly shopping and restaurants, Creek Street.


We again ended the night with some dancing and fun (and karaoke) at the Crow's Nest lounge.

Day 9 - My Birthday!

The next day was a lazy day aboard the ship, as it was a travel day. It was also my birthday! Celebrating on a cruise is not a bad way to do it! We partied all night and said goodbye to our new friends. We shall meet on another ship? :)



It was an awesome time. I highly recommend it if you ever get the opportunity!!

Not quite done yet...

No comments: