Tuesday, August 3, 2010

ALASKA!!! (Part I)

Okay, so this is long overdue, but this is my entry on our 2-week trip to Alaska at the end of June...

Day 1 - Getting There

Not much to say for Day 1, but I saved my flight until the afternoon so that I wasn't rushing around in the morning to make sure I got to the airport early enough. So what did I do? I left a half hour later than I wanted to anyway. No problems though. Being on a plane for like 10 hours wasn't all that fun, but survivable. When we were getting closer to Anchorage it seemed to be getting lighter outside, which was odd since we were landing at like 12:30 AM. Made it to Alaska!
Had some company...

Day 2 - Expo & Anchorage

When we got up Friday morning to go to the expo, I got my first real glance of Alaska.

Expo was pretty small, but not too bad. As expected, I suppose. We met a couple of girls from Michigan and got our packets and all. We then headed down to the running store to check it out. I saw some moose running socks and, well, how could I pass those up?? :)

Downtown Anchorage

There were an unsurprising amount of gift shops and touristy stores in town. Lots of random art too. One of the great things about Alaska for me is the amount of moose stuff that is in town. There was an alley with some pretty awesome murals. It's too bad there were also dumpsters and parked cars. But still pretty cool!

After some walking around Anchorage we headed over for our pre-race dinner with the LVM crew. It was a small Italian place that was halfway decent, but nothing outstanding. I had chicken fettuccine alfredo, which is not uncommon for me. After dinner we headed back, watched Spirit of the Marathon and got some sleeps!

1 comment: