Thursday, September 27, 2007

Running Lessons

This year I've learned two pretty important lessons about running, especially if you are in marathon training or run a lot. One would apply to anyone, runner or not, though.

1) Surfaces. Try to run on softer surfaces, such as asphalt, to protect your bones from all the pounding. I kind of took this for granted the last few years because most of my running was at school, which, for the majority of the mileage, was on asphalt. So, in coming back from my fractured toe to train for marathons last year, the softer surface probably helped keep it from fracturing again or something. I now look to run on asphalt, or grass/dirt if it's just concrete. I can now feel the difference.

2) Sleep. You need it. That's about all that needs to be said. But, I will go on! Sleep helps heal your body and keeps you healthy. It is especially important in marathon training because you are putting so much stress on your body and working it really hard. It needs time to recover. It can't recover very well if you don't rest! And of course, sleep is the best way to rest! I realized that this week, finally. I had trouble sleeping Sunday night, and got only about 4 hours (if that) and felt crappy and sick all day Monday. Monday night I went to bed earlier than I have ever gone to bed in a long time, definitely since starting work...10:30. That gave me about 7.5 hours of sleep, and I felt a little better Tuesday. I had a great run too, as my toe felt pretty good and didn't bother me. I went to bed early again Tuesday and felt a little better again yesterday (sore throat had progressed to stuffiness - which now is transitioning to the cough phase). I got 7 hours last night and felt a little better today as well. My run today went well too. I am convinced that sleep has improved the healing to my toe. Not only that, I feel much more energized, and therefore, generally happier.

So...get that sleep!

No comments: